Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Parents Behaving Badly


Sometimes the more I read the news, the more I become swayed towards the idea of parental licensing.

I know it's un-American.

But I'm allowed to fantasize a bit, aren't I?

Mary E. Cozad went to her son's school to discuss his one-day suspension for fighting on the bus with the Assistant Principal. After the office door was closed, she took a gun and holster out of her purse and placed it on a nearby shelf.

No shots were fired, and she left the school after the meeting without incident (taking her gun with her).

Yesterday she was sentenced to 2 years probation and ordered to pay a $200.00 fine for unlawfully carrying a weapon.

For the very life of me, I just can't imagine what passes for logic on her planet.

Did she eat a great big steaming bowl of stupid for breakfast?

Cozad claimed she "forgot" she had the gun and didn't want to leave it in the open in her car. So why didn't she lock it in her trunk or glove compartment?

Or just leave it in her purse?

Why take it out and "display" it?

Did she think it would make the Principal change her mind?

"Oops! We made a mistake! We actually want to give your son the Student of the Month award for good conduct!"

Tragically for the kid, Mom's bad choices have additional consequences for him. She's been banned from all Keller School District campuses.

So she'll never get to witness or participate in any of the good things her son might be involved in--conferences, school plays, awards ceremonies, sporting events or recitals.

It just boggles the mind, doesn't it?


17 comments:

Me said...

OH Lord!! sometimes people just don't bother to think. One of my public speaking students bought his favorite hunting gun as a visual aid to school one day. When I told him this was highly unacceptable, his answer
"Well, it was empty and besides because the room is too small for the gun to function properly."
What???

Rhonda said...

Holy revolvers, Batman.

A recent Parent's Weekend at my son's school realllly illuminated apples not falling far from trees.

I'm with you thinking maybe parenting licenses aren't such a bad idea.

Nikki said...

A steaming bowl of stupid? *snicker*

Her displaying the gun leads me to believe she was threatening the principal if her son was suspended.

The parental lic. thing...I think it's a good idea. A really good idea.

clew said...

Stupid is as stupid does. That's for sure. :/

carmachu said...

Csnt blame her. Have you ever tried using logic with some of these school administrators? Their like mini dictators in their own little kingdoms, god forbid if you disagree with them.....

34quinn said...

I totally see the view point of carmachu. However, the gun might have been just an "eensy weensy" bit over pardon the bad pun but overkill to make her point.
I find the teachers and school administration extremely difficult to deal with alot of the time and very much lacking in "common sence".
I am in canada not sure about other places.

poppedculture said...

I'm sure she was just putting the gun on the shelf for safekeeping. What other possible motive could there have been? ;)

girl said...

Oh man! Sometimes, I want to pull a stunt like that to scare crazy coworkers away. But then they'd probably feel closer to me than ever before!

Big Pissy said...

My oldest daughter teaches first grade in Atlanta.

You wouldn't BELIEVE some of the stories she tells me regarding the "parents" of her pupils....

No guns have been drawn thus far.

Thank God!

Miss Keeks said...

Wow. I'm consistently amazed by people's stupidity.

One of my coworkers left a teaching job to come here. She said that she loved teaching and she loved her students, but the parents were a nightmare.

carmachu said...

Yup, some parents are complete idiots, my brother tells all sorts of interesting stories about them from parent teachers meetings....

But then again, lets not get too one sided here. There are also many interesting stories teachers and administrators stupidity.

You know, like the news story of the 5 year old that gets a 5 days suspension for "weapons possession" of a plastic butter knife in a plastic baggy he was bringing home to show his mom, 'cause he was so proud to butter his own bagel. Or the kinagardener who was suspsended for sexual harrassment for giving another student a kiss on teh cheek, or.......you get my point I assume, or do I need to dig out more news stories?

34quinn said...

carmachu...
I totally get you!!!
It just seems common sence is just not so common anymore.
And being "politically correct" has just become the scapegoat to escape dealing with things in a realistic way.

Charlie said...

Common sense. That's a good one.

Personally, I think I would shoot the head cheerleader so my daughter could be the head cheerleader.

Oh wait. Someone's done that already.

Anonymous said...

no TT today!! I almost didn't, I should be doing real things...

Anonymous said...

Stupid people shouldn't breed! BTW I love the little bit about "a great big steaming bowl of stupid" That was funny.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»