Thursday, September 07, 2006

Only 24 Hours in a Day....

Another week, and I've been so busy! Sorry for the lack of posts, but I'm settling into a routine.

The good news is that 3 weeks into school, all my submitted work has received A's.

The bad news is that I can't seem to sleep without nightmares of Pre-Algebra. Numbers chasing me. Numbers swirling around in my coffee. Having to take fraction tests on my phone with option menus (Where the hell is the slash key???!!!).

Plus a bunch of miniature pigs reproducing like rabbits that are running around in my basement since I've neglected to make them into bacon.

Ok these are dreams. They DON'T have make sense!

Good grief!!! If I have to dream about pork, porking and pork products, why can't I dream about Colin Firth and a squeezy bottle of BBQ sauce?

:::sigh:::

Since I've been bemoaning the fact that there are only 24 hours a day, I've been thinking about the series 24.

When I first started blogging, I wrote a post about how we've never watched 24, due to hubby's intense dislike of Kiefer Sutherland.

"Huh?"

Because Kiefer was mean to Sally Field, Silly Reader! You can read all about it here.

Since I wrote that, there has been an extreme dearth of good or interesting new releases on the video front in the last year or so. We're wallowing in execrable remakes.

We live in the mountains, so we don't actually get to see anything good or interesting in our tiny theater which shows about 4 movies a month. Now playing: "Ant Bully" and "Step Up".

Blech.

Soooooo, on movie night, we've been catching up on series like "The Wire", "The Shield", "Rescue Me" and "Deadwood".

But they only last so long, and I finally talked hubby into watching "24". Four whole seasons we haven't ever watched and by all accounts, it's a great series!

So we've been watching it all summer and are now halfway into season 4.

For all you oldtimer 24 fans, we just have a few questions about things that have puzzled us (since we watch about 4 episodes in a row instead of one a week):

Is Jack Bauer human or is he an android? The only time he ever ate or drank anything was episode 1 on season 1 and the last episode of season 3. Since the episodes are supposed to be in "real time", what real human sustains the energy without a drink of water?

How come the bathrooms in CTU are only used to make clandestine phone calls? Doesn't anyone ever have to actually pee?

And speaking of CTU---how come so many "moles" infiltrate it? If this is supposed to be a top-of-the-line gubment agency, complete with it's own torture devices, doesn't anyone ever do background checks?

Why is it that every single phone call (Law & Order and CSI are guilty of this too) is immediately relevant to the case at hand or to a backstory? In a very busy day, filled with real people, does no one ever get a call from a spouse saying "what time will you be home for dinner, and pick up the clothes from the cleaners while you're at it?" or from the dentist to remind him/her of a pending appointment?

The viewer just KNOWS when the stars are sitting around that when their phone rings, it's a clue. How freaking boring already! Yawn and doh!

Of course I'm excusing President Palmer, because he had a staff to deal with that.

Last but not least---am I the only person who was boggled about how certain ::koff:: agents were so worried about their personal lives in the face of national crisis that they wasted valuable time messing around with the drama of it all?


Hello?

Who gives a rat's ass if your boyfriend had a child out of wedlock that you didn't know about when in 5 hours you and your loved ones could be flailing around with deadly infective blisters that make you bleed from the eyeballs! Get some perspective, you idiot!

Makes you wonder about our government at work, doesn't it? Gak!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

A's Attila, big congrats to you!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA...Spouse Guy and I always make fun of "the phone call" in all of these shows. It's never just the wife calling to ask for hubby to pick up some milk on the way home. No, it's always the big turning point in the case. These shows would never have made it if they'd been on before cell phones were common.

Anonymous said...

Can I get full detail on the Colin Firth and BBQ sauce fantasy... that sounds like it could be one of mine...

Rootietoot said...

mmm Colin Firth is yummy, with or without condiments.

SD got me hooked on 24. He gets it via netflix, so we can see 8 episodes at a time. Yeah, there goes and entire Sunday. I've wondered about the mole issue as well. Don't they screen people for jobs like that?

I've always been irritated by Sally Field, so Keifer S is alrighty. Plus I like his daddy.

Debbie said...

yeah! three As! so proud. :)

I no watchee the 24. so I can't follow the post. but I'm stoked for you about school. and my heart aches for your pre-algebra-encumbered brain. yikes.

Michelle Flaherty said...

I used to have nightmares about books chasing me and never going to class, not remembering I had a certain class and failing out of that class. And that was all after I graduated, lol.

I can't stand 24. It's always the same plot - terrorists strike, Jack Bauer gets on someone's shit list, Jack Bauer saves the day and all is forgiven. WOO HOO. I tried watching it here and there until I realized it was just the same shit different week.

Brenda said...

Congrats on the A's!!!

I've never had a chance to have a look at any of the series of which you speak. I do watch CSI Las Vegas and NCIS because hubby also likes those two. He's got John Wayne on the brain so the western channel gets fine tuned around here. He's busy in the fields now with harvest and I've been watching Food Network,,,am I stoopid or what?
Don't answer that.

KL said...

WTG On those A's!! Keep it up!! And be darned glad you aren't facing Boolean Algebra, which is what one of my classes STARTED with this semester...I am thinking it doesn't bode well to start so hard! LOL

Silly me, I thought you were going to say the pigs in the basement were the guys living it up while you were studying LOL

elizabeth said...

24 rocks!

You know where to get help in math. Ahem.

Tracie Nall said...

I guess I am now officially the last person on earth who has not really ever watched 24.

I have to say that my hubby and I love Sally Field and just the other day we actully had a conversation about An Eye for An Eye and how Keifer was mean to her. Sad, I know.

Me said...

Attila - Congrats on the A...
And yes, i'LL take one Colin Firth and chocolate sauce, please.
the 24 questions - sigh. honestly, when does he take a dump?

carmachu said...

forget 24. Sheild is much more entertaining.....

How's teh kid doing once he found his classroom....?

ninjapoodles said...

Dude, you gotta give up some "suspension of disbelief." I am IN LOVE with K.S. as Jack. Alex and I have long, involved debates involving Jack Bauer versus Sam Fisher in a death-match...yes, we get that bored, and ARE that shallow sometimes.

And just to put your mind at ease, all that stuff you're talking about? The mundane stuff that does not cause adrenalin-surges, like potty-breaks, and eating food? That stuff happens WHEN YOU ARE NOT LOOKING. In other words, during the 4.5 minutes you're watching someone ELSE, that's when Jack is peeing, eating, drinking, and renewing his newspaper subscriptions.

Plus, these are kind of SPECIAL days, these "24" days, you know? I mean, really, they only happen occasionally. I know when you watch the seasons back to back it seems like this is Jack's everyday life, BUT the entire 5-season lifetime of "24" actually spans SEVEN YEARS from "Day 1" to "Day 5." Some seasons had 3 years in between "days" and some had 18 months in between.

And the moles, as you will learn in season five, are born, not made. More often it is not some "bad guy" infiltrating CTU, but rather, the "bad guys" (such as the misguided, radical Rove/Cheney-ish "patriots" of season 5) are picking "likely" CTU agents and manipulating and turning them...often in the name of patriotism and national security.

Anything else? Hee. The worst thing ever, that drove me nuts about the show, was the REPEATED stupidity of daughter Kim in season ONE. Oh, I wanted to kill her myself, just so she'd be out of the way.

And lemme just tell you...season FIVE? Best. Ever. One of my favorite Jack lines? "Look, kid--the only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to CARRY you."

Hee. Yes, I have a bad thang for Jack. And my next-favorite character is Chloe. LOVE me some Chloe. Would you want ANYONE else on your team, if you were Jack? Dog-loyal, super-smart, and never questions. I heart her. As I hearted Edgar (*sniff*).

I bought my hubby (and will try to save for Christmas, but I am a BAD secret-keeper, so no idea how that will actually go) the exact manly man-purse that Jack carries all through the series. I love how he has ever dadgum thing in the universe in that bag, and wears it like he doesn't know it's there--I figure that's the key to manly purse-wearing. Anyhoo, I think Alex will really like it and use it...especially since it's just like Jack's, and he can't argue that it's "girly."

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the As! Well done :-)

I read the post about Sally Field - it's very funny!

Phil said...

LOL! I still haven't watched 24, but it was the subject of one of my first posts back in April '05. I'd put the link here, but I'm not that smart.

Samantha said...

Congrats on your good grades!!

girl said...

Omigosh! I'm so hungry for roast miniature suckling pigs now. I imagine they'd be served like cornish game hens, the whole animal tucked daintily on my plate. Droool.

My boyfriend likes 24 more I do, but Jack's awesome! Why does anybody bother questioning him? If Jack says something, shouldn't they all just bow down and agree?

girl said...

And for some reason, now I'm picturing a 24 musical. I think the opening number would be a glitzy kickline singing "Jack is back! Jack is back! And if you're surprised, you... didn't know Jaaack!"

Ofcourse there would be dancing mini-pigs on stage. But I'm not yet sure if they'd be in tutus.