Thursday, May 17, 2012

Off With Their Heads!!

I don't know what it's like to have daughters. I'm surrounded by doods. I love them all dearly, but sometimes I want to grab a shovel and beat them on the heads with it.

You'd think that after all of these years, some things would be like second nature to them. I mean, they're ALL adults. And hubby has been an adult longer than the rest of them.

So is it a dood thing? An Attila household thing? I'm pretty darn easygoing, but I have a few simple rules that haven't changed over a gazillion years:

If you didn't buy it, make it, or if I didn't tell you it's for you, it's not yours.  If you're not sure, ask.

Little Guy has got it down. He doesn't open things or help himself unless he knows for sure it's there for him.

Big Kid was really bad about this, but he doesn't live here anymore.

So who does that leave? Hubby and the Aspiring Adult. They are driving me CRAZY!

I'm not a freaking ogre. There's a whole shelf and canister of "everybody eat this" foods and snacks. They ask me to get certain things they like, and I do it.

The problem is that they see food made for someone else, or ingredients I've bought for some big meal and decide that they just HAVE to eat it right then and right there.

For example:

I roasted a chicken for dinner. Everybody had as much as they wanted, and the carcass sat in the fridge for a few days. I deboned what was left, and made myself a chicken salad for lunch. Only had a few bites from my bowl, left the fork in it and threw some foil over it because I had to run to an appointment.

Came back an hour later in anticipation to finishing it, and it was gone.

WTF? Aspiring Adult and girlfriend were hungry, and decided it must have been made just for them. Pointed out that it had my mouth germs all over it because it was MY lunch in a bowl (not a tupperware) and what were they thinking?

Last week I made dinner for everybody, and it was on the stove. I've been sort of dieting and have lost 55 pounds in the last year. Little Guy has lost 25.

Hubby was going to drop by the store and pick up a couple of things after work, including some crackers. I wasn't going to eat the dinner I had prepared for everybody, because I'd made myself a little tuna salad and planned on having that instead. With the crackers. That was the point. I'd wrapped it up and put it in the fridge.

I was reading in bed and fell asleep before he got home. When I woke up, everybody had eaten dinner, and I went to the fridge to grab my tuna salad. It was gone. Hubby had been digging around while warming up his dinner in the microwave and thought I'd made it as an appetizer just for him! Grrr

Ok, I’m not a pushover.  I was pissed at both of the above actions.  When it happened, I made the Aspiring Adult roast a chicken, debone it and make a chicken salad for everybody.  Learning experience for when he was on his own and wanted chicken salad, and for what happens when you help yourself to other people’s stuff.

I also made hubby run back to the store and buy some tuna because there wasn’t any more and dammnit, I wanted my salad!

You’d think that after all this time, they’d “get it”.

Big Kid has been seeing a nutritionist because his weight has become a problem and it’s difficult to control it when he has to take Depakote for his mental illness.

Portion control is a big issue for him, so I’ve been making him meals that are a “no brainer”. 

Yesterday, I made Italian for the family.  Pasta, meat sauce, etc.

And I made 3 pre-made dinners for the Big Kid..  Vegetable pasta, turkey meatballs, and a special-ordered low-sugar sauce, for people who have diabetes, which is not inexpensive.

There were leftovers of the family meal.  Free for everybody to help themselves.

When I got up, Hubby and the Aspiring Adult had already left for work early.  I opened the fridge to get cream for my coffee and had a revolting surprise.

2 of the 3 special pre-made meals for the Big Kid were gone.

I really don’t get it.  And they don’t have answers, other than, “it looked good and I wanted it”.

I made them bring them home.

Yeah, I guess I’m a bitch that way, but the whole thing perplexes me.

7 comments:

Beth said...

I know you (I, we…) shouldn’t have to do this, but labeling food items works. As in, “DO NOT EAT THIS.” I stick yellow post-its on food to be saved or that is MINE. Started doing this when the boys were in their early teens & always hungry. Of course, now I’m stuck (so to speak) - if it doesn’t have a sign on it, it’s considered fair game. I “lost” a much anticipated & un-signed dinner (leftovers) the other day.

And, yeah, I think it's a "dood" thing. ;)

Crazy Mom! said...

I'm glad you made them bring the food back. I have this same issue in my household of Doodes.

Anonymous said...

All boys do is eat. It's really something.

Brenda said...

I think their brains are located in their stomachs when it's not "elsewhere".

Chris H said...

Been there, done that.
LABEL everything you don't want them to touch.
And ... if it doesn't need to be in the fridge and you still don't want them to eat it... find a cupboard that you can put a bloody padlock on... and lock your food in there!
I HAVE DONE THIS.
Funnily enough, it works too.
No one gets MY SPECIAL stuff, or stuff I need for a special meal...

and girls are just as bad as boys.

Only they steal your jewellery/clothes/toiletries too.

Jennifer Leeland said...

This drives me crazy. My husband works out of town and packs up a cooler for the week.
Now, we'd made a green salad for dinner and there was leftover so I thought "Excellent. I'd love salad."
Apparently, so did my husband. He took it. Did he leave any thinking I might want some? No. Did he ask? No. The first I knew of it was when I planned to have it for my dinner and it wasn't there.
I can totally relate.

ditzymoi said...

Happens here ALL the time! Fresh ground beef for Spaghetti dinner ? Gone to after school hamburgers... really ? 2lbs of ground beef ? Don't get me started on the cereal ... for 10 years they wouldn't eat anything that didn't come in a cartoon box in bright colors and now they kill a whole box of my fruit and nut cereal in one sitting that I paid $7 a box for?
BTW .. saw your story about Charlie, I can't believe he's gone :( It's made me really sad and melancholy this week .. I thought he would be around forever ...silly I know. Glad you are still here writing old friend xoxox
Kim