Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Heartsick over Sick Hearts

I'm sure many of us have just been shocked and devastated by the events yesterday at Virginia Tech. I know I am.

Unfortunately we've been without power for most of the day (heavy spring snow last night snapped tree limbs which fell on power lines, etc), so I haven't been able to watch the information unfold as it became available.

I'm sending all my most healing thoughts and prayers to the injured and to the families of those so senselessly murdered. I'll bet you are too.


If you have any more in you, would you please send a healing thought our way?

Since my phone was out with everything else, I wasn't able to get any other news until late in the afternoon.

My younger brother, who I introduced in my Extreme Makeover posts, was senselessly attacked last night.


His girlfriend's son broke his finger, and my brother was driving them home from the hospital. He watched from his car as she and son walked up their sidewalk and started to unlock their door.

They were approached by a man, who tried to engage them in conversation, so my brother got out of his car to make sure there weren't any problems.

The man was obviously high on something, and kept asking if his friend lived there. Since this was one of the complexes my brother worked at for 7 years, he knew who the man was talking about, and directed him to the next apartment unit. By all accounts, the exchange was friendly.

My brother turned to go up the sidewalk to make sure girlfriend and her son got in safely, and the man ran up behind him and punched him on the side of the head.

The doctors think they'll be able to save his eyeball. They "hope" they'll be able to save his eyesight. His orbital bone was fractured, and nerves were damaged, so they'll try to repair it with surgery.

The police caught the guy, who was just totally f*cked up and didn't have a reason for the attack. Of course, most of this is second hand from my Mom, so I'm sure I'll hear more of the details later.

The events of the last couple of days have just stunned me beyond belief. When I hear the time of the surgery, I'll probably be driving up to the big city to be there. So again, I guess I'll be gone for a day or so.

If you could send a healing wish on wings for my brother, I'd sure appreciate it.

xo

ATM

23 comments:

Mary said...

Oh Attila, I'm so sorry!
WTF is going on in the world? Seriously, it's mind-boggling. I'm sending white light and good thoughts your brother's way.
Peace,
Mary

Ally said...

sending healing thoughts your brother's way.

Unknown said...

I'll pray for your brother Attila.

Me said...

Sending my prayers your way.
*tons of hugs*

yerdoingitwrong said...

OH GIRL. Sending my prayers your way families way. I'm thinking these days we're just lucky if we're not in the wrong place at the wrong time!! Freaky people are all over. ugh. xo. Hang in there, love.

Mel said...

You have every good wish I can think up, Attila. I'll be thinking of you and of your brother.

The Quacks of Life said...

my best wishes to your brother

Brenda said...

Loads of healing wishes on the way for your brother and your family!
Hang in there ATM.

Beth said...

Healing wishes, hugs and prayers for your wonderful brother.
Hugs and prayers for you.
Stay strong - there are times you think you just don't have anything left in you in terms of strength and coping skills. You do - you will.

So awful, so sad...

Anonymous said...

Your brother is on our prayer list. I know you're a stron lady but you're on it also. Hang in there. It'll be all better some day. At lest so I'm told.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry! Hoping only for the best for your brother. How awful.

Flamenco Mom said...

Thinking of you and your family, Attila. Hope your brother is better soon.

Anonymous said...

(((((((((ATM & Family))))))))))
I am thinking of you, your brother, and your entire family. Hugs & Prayers.

Kim Ayres said...

My thoughts are with your brother.

Manda said...

Oh, how awful, ATM. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
Take care and God speed.

Rootietoot said...

Good heavens! Best wishes to your brother and a successful recovery...my word- how awful...

MommaMonkey said...

Thoughts and prayers are being sent your brother's way. I hope the Dr.'s can work a miracle and get him back to "normal".

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Jeez! How much can you take, really? *shakes head* It's just crazy.

elizabeth said...

Sending healing vibes and hugs your way.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Keeping you and your brother in my thoughts and prayers...
I'll be back to see what's up...
Big Heart Hugs...
Terri

carmachu said...

Holy crap! I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he makes a full recovery...

Litzi said...

Hi Attila,
I hope your brother has a speedy and full recovery. My thoughts are with you...

Grim Reality Girl said...

Prayers going up for your brother... I'm so sorry!