Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Ads that Annoy

Some ads on TV are touching, or tickle your funny bone. I LOVE the State Farm Mayhem ads, starring the guy that used to be on Rescue Me. Since the Aspiring Adult wrecked out 4 cars in a year by weird and stupid stuff, that's our new nickname for him---Mayhem.

The Foundation for a Better Life ads are inspiring. They're always good for a warm fuzzy.

But Geezus Pete, aren't there ads that just annoy the shit out of you? I am SO freaking glad that most of the programs we're interested in watching we can tape on DVR and watch the next day and fast forward over the increasingly long and inane ads.

These are a couple of my most hated:

The Excedrin ad where the guy says, "I didn't just WASH the deck, I POWER WASHED IT!" (cue scene where plates and napkins are drenched and flying through the air). What kind of fool "power" washes a deck AFTER it has been completely decorated for an event and all the place-settings are out on the tables?

And then there is the Angel Soft ad where the guy steps out of the bathroom and says, "Honey can you throw me a roll of toilet paper?" She has the multi-pack roll on the kitchen counter, throws it to him down the hall, and it shaves off the hair on the side of his head because it's so "rough".

Then supposedly days (or weeks) later, lame Hubby steps out of the bathroom with part of his hair grown back and says, "Honey, can you throw me a roll of toilet paper?" and the roll she throws at him blows up in his face like an exploding feather pillow because it's too "soft".

Who in the hell stores their toilet paper on the kitchen counter? Wouldn't a normal person store it in or near the bathroom? Like under the sink or something where it would be easy to get to? Urk

Which ads annoy you?


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ads have been successful. You remembered the names of the products and further advertised them. They should send you a commission.

Attila the Mom said...

They certainly made me decide not to buy the products!! :-)

Sarah Ogden said...

In Wisconsin, we are in the middle of recall campaigns so our air waves are clogged with political ads. Thanks Goodness for the DVR

Jeanie said...

Any ad with an annoying alarm clock sound makes me want to screech like the alarm clock.
Also, I would get very annoyed with a husband who couldn't manage to be responsible for getting his own toilet paper.

Rootietoot said...

Any ad that makes out like the husband is a completely brainless goober and the wife totally wears the pants in the family- like the Yoplait ones where he's reaching for a Pineapple UpsideDownCake yogurt and she says "babe, what are you doing" like he's a little kid reaching for the bottle of Absolut. I hate that.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Sarah. SO SICK of the dang campaign ads. And the beer ads that objectify women. COME ON ALREADY. It's 2011.

KL said...

I remember an ad eons ago for a feminine hygiene product. I think it was Summer's Eve, but it could have been Massengill. It showed a mother and daughter (I think) having tea outside and the mother says she uses X product, and proceeds to pull a box out from the bottom of the tea cart. I always though...EWWWW!!! Who keeps their douche on their tea cart?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

Just another stupid commercial that I have NO idea who they are aiming it at.

Anonymous said...

Here's a good one:

http://youtu.be/5G90wuyDKpU

Webster said...

This summer it has to be all the ones for the NBC Fall show Whitney, for their unbridled ubiquity.
(redundant metaphor appropriate)

Warner said...

Not sure where the toilet paper is.

Goes to look.

Hall outside upstairs bath. Costco, there is no room for it anywhere else.

mary mahoo said...

I'm way up here in Canada, and I'm not sure whether you get these uber annoying Dairy Queen commercials. Each new one is more annoying than the one before (and as a result, I haven't visited DQ once this year--I'm too afraid I'll see this idiot and give him "a DQ Special").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eibkUoRdOM&NR=1

Star said...

Just leaving a comment to say hello. I just caught up on your blog posts. Nice to hear that things are "normal".

KL said...

I found the ad...am I the only one who remembers this one??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKF-pu1LcLA

Brenda said...

The Huggies commercials where the cartoon babies are on stage filling diapers..oops there it is my a**.

Anonymous said...

ALL of the ads annoy me. If we haven't recorded the programmes so we can fast-forward the ads, the mute button goes on.