Monday, June 16, 2008

This 'n That

Heya!

Hubby is still back east taking care of his mom and getting her affairs in order. She's doing well, but looking at a 4-5 month stay in the rehab unit. :-(

Drove Little Guy up to camp yesterday for a week of summer fun. Have a few comments on that, but will have to think about how to phrase them.

Big Kid and I are on our own, so we went out to dinner and rented a movie----Stephen King's The Mist.

I have to say that The Mist is one of my absolute favorite stories...on one hand, because it isn't stretching the imagination to believe that it could happen, and I've spent many a night over the years wondering how I'd react in a situation like that. On the other, because it scared the shiat outta me.

The movie, on the whole----was pretty true to the novella. Until, of course, the "adapter" decided to kick in some absolutely stoopid and unneeded third dimension bullshit (which pretty much took it out of the realm of "wow, I could actually see this happening") and then CHANGED THE ENDING COMPLETELY.

Boy, was I pissed off. I was so pissed off, that I woke up this morning STILL pissed off. Grrrr.

RC at Strange Culture did a really fabulous blogathon about Dad's and the Media for Father's Day. There are lots a great contributors with thought-provoking posts. Drop by and check it out!

11 comments:

Brenda said...

The Mist movie pissed me off too! I was totally disgusted with the ending. Stephen King's books and short stories are always better than the movies they make of them.

Hope you have a great week ATM!

Jennifer McKenzie said...

UGH! I hate it when the "adapters" do that. Don't even get me started on the BBC adaptation of Ngaio Marsh's mysteries. Okay, so I LOVE Ngaio Marsh, but they hacked it up pretty good.
Just another example of the book being better than the movie. The only time I've ever seen that maxim fail is with "The Lord Of The Rings". In that case, I didn't like the books much but I adored the movies.

Green-Eyed Momster said...

Now I HAVE to see it!

We saw The Eye...It was pretty good.
I liked 30 Days of Night, the ending could have been better, though.
Sorry they messed with the end of your movie.
Hope you have a great week! Hugs!

TheMama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TheMama said...

I can not stand it when a book is changed for commercial effect.

TheHubby is still PO'd about this one, and we saw it while it was still in the theater!

Beth said...

The book is always better than the movie - but changing the ending? That's worth getting pissed off about.
Enjoy your quality time with the Big Guy!

KrisMrsBBradley said...

Ugh, I hate when the movie goes in a completely different direction than a book. I'm almost to the point that if I've already read a book, I won't go and see the movie version.

Michelle Flaherty said...

Years ago, I listened to the audio tape of The Mist. I cannot recollect at all what the story was about. But the movie looked dumb enough that I think I'll stay away from it completely. I've become disenchanted more and more with Stephen King over the years.

Litzi said...

Hi Attila,
Years ago I vowed to never again watch a film that had been adapted from a book I’d read after being disappointed time and time again. Your post made me realize that it’s been a l-o-n-g time since I’ve been to or rented a movie; I’ve been hibernating in the Tea Room, apparently. :)

I hope you and Big Kid enjoy your “bonding” time together while Little Guy is away at camp and Mr. Attila is helping his Mother.

carmachu said...

wasnt a bad ending. Another level of horror added to the horror TBH.

Anonymous said...

I felt the same with "Forrest Gump". Tom Hanks is great, but the story is so different from the book that I was very disappointed.
I wish you and Big Kid a wonderful time together. I'm sure he enjoys this week alone with you (I felt the same as a kid: I hadn't to share ma mom with my dad and my brother!!!)
((hugs))