Wednesday, April 16, 2008

::Sniff:: ::Sniff::

April is Autism awareness month, and I'm very sad to say that a good friend is taking a (hopefully not permanent) hiatus from blogland to focus on the upcoming needs of her son who will be leaving school soon. Casdok has been a wonderful resource and an encouraging friend.

She posted this on her last entry (not sure if she is the author, so forgive me if I don't attribute it correctly), and I think it sums up the lives our children are living so very aptly.

I don’t want to be treated like a child.
I want respect.
I don’t want to be ‘trained’.
I want the opportunity to grow.
I don’t want to fester in a local day service, or in a home.
I want to be an active member of the community.
I don’t want pity or patronizing.
I want to be valued.
I don’t want neglect or abuse.
I want to feel safe.
I don’t want lack of resources to be an excuse.
I want a creative approach.
I don’t want institutionalised staff.
I want people who really care.
I don’t want people being complacent about my behaviour.
I want to be nurtured.
I don’t want special services.
I want opportunity.
I don’t want to ‘fit’ into existing services.
I want choice.
I don’t want to miss out because of risk assessment.
I want some fun.
I don’t want to be cured.
I want acceptance.
I don’t want charity.
I want integrity and dignity.
I don’t want to be disabled by society.

I just want what everyone else has.


I'm going to miss you, Friend. Don't be a stranger!

ATM

16 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Attila,
These observations for Autism awareness month are excellent. They could also be applied to any individual struggling to function in the world today. We all want to be accepted and appreciated for who we are and what we have to contribute to our family, friends and society at large. Being judged by our appearance, education, socioeconomic status or any other criteria society opts to label its members with can be unpleasant and cruel.

Are you near any of the fires in Colorado?

Attila the Mom said...

Miss Litzi---no, we're not close, thank goodness. They're pretty bad, and the wind has been terrible!

Green-Eyed Momster said...

Hi Attila! I'm going to miss Casdok too. I've learned more from her about Autism, then I've learned from any other source. She's a real sweetie and C is lucky to have a mom like her! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have to ditto your wish too! :) Hugs!

Litzi said...

Hi Attila,
I’m delighted to hear you’re safe. It’s been exceedingly windy (and cold) around here as well. You question the veracity of “global warming” when the temperatures are way below average for this time of year…

Anonymous said...

Amen. I'm sorry to say I just discovered Casdok about a month ago. I'll miss her posts. I've learned a lot from her and you.

Anonymous said...

This is a good thing to read. I really like it. A friend of mine has just been told that her son has autism. I think I will print this out for her.

Are you staying away from the fires, ATM?!

Mel said...

This is great - great - PERFECT for me to read right now. Just spent my first evening on the job with one of the special needs staff - his first night. I now work for a janitorial service, training into a supervisor position, because as a part of the contract to work at our county facilities, we must have a certain percentage of our crew with mental 'disabilities.'
Had a really nice guy working with us last night, and I hope to god I treated him just like this. I didn't address anything but the job, was patient and encouraging, and re-told him every task he forgot or needed a refresher on - did I do good?

Attila the Mom said...

Good for you, Mel!!! Little Guy has been getting some job training, and I truly hope people will treat him like this as well. :-)

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Your posts at Disaboom have been some of the best.
You and Attack Of The Redneck Mommy remind me how lucky I am to have my kids.
Hope the Little Guy kicks ass in his job training.

Angela said...

Yes Casdok was a great blogger
A few of her posts made me smile and think.

Hope your week is going lovely.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure LG will do great at his job training ((hug))

Brenda said...

Wonderful piece. Your boys are so very lucky to have you as a Mom!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was awesome. AWESOME!

Ann(ie) said...

I loved that. And it sucks when blogger pals go on hiatus. :( I always miss them so much! The picture of that crying baby looks like Ben at his well child visit today...he screamed, cried, screamed, wailed, screamed, hollered and screamed. OH my it was fun.

Mrs. G. said...

My daughter has a rare genetic disorder and I know she would agree with everyone of these. Along with, quit asking invasive question that are none of your freaking business. Good list.

Unknown said...

Good post Attila!