Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!


It's been a busy week, and I'm so sorry I haven't been checking in.

Little Guy had to have some minor surgery, and I've been all tangled up in taking care of him and other things.

Wanted to pass on a really sweet act of kindness that a friend sent to me the other day.

It's called the
Ugly Beard Contest. I didn't get this up in a timely manner (ok, I only received this a week ago, and I've been busy), so the contest is over, but they're still accepting donations.

The male teachers of the Jordan-Elbridge High School started a contest to see who could grow the ugliest beard. They're in a rural school district which serves a lot of families in need. It costs a dollar or a can of food to vote on which staff member is growing the ugliest beard.

Lots of people feel the spirit of giving around the holidays, which is really great, but sometimes we forget that the families who need help often need it all year round. Their food bank is very low, so they're requesting donations.

This seems to be like a great fundraising project for schools! The male teachers don't have to shave for 2-3 months, so it's almost like casual Friday every day!

But it leaves the ladies out. Can't they include Ugly Armpit or Calf-hair contests too?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Little Guy is okay. Things are crazy with us too right now. Mom just got diagnosed with Lupus on top of everything else. I'm thinking of you.

Casdok said...

Hope your Little Guy is on the mend.The beard thing is a great idea.

Beth said...

Hope all is well - with you and Little Guy.
I wish someone would have a contest like that around here for women - I'd love to go a few weeks without shaving for a worthy cause!

Anonymous said...

I echo was has been said above, hope Little Guy is okay! Also, call me in about 10 years when my ovaries shut down. Who says women can't grow an ugly beard!

Litzi said...

Hi Attila,
Sorry to hear Little Guy had to have minor surgery, but he’s in capable hands with you as his nurse. Don’t neglect yourself...

If some of the women are interested in entering the “Ugly Beard Contest”, they could use Propecia®. It’s actually a prescription medication approved for use in treating male hair loss but it might work. Who knows? Maybe their voices would drop a few octaves while they’re turning hirsute.

Kim Ayres said...

Hope LG is ok.

I'm a bit disturbed by this prejudiced contest. I took a look through some random teachers and didn't think there were any ugly beards. Ugly faces, yes. Ugly hairstyles, yes. Ugly shirts, definitely. But ugly beards? None of them were long enough to be getting out of hand. I think this was a piece of pure beardophobia

Ann(ie) said...

I love the contest. Very cool idea. I could give someone a run for their money in the longest leg hair category if I were to try. Hubby might up and leave me, but hey for charity!! ;)

Angela said...

Hope your little guy gets feeling better.
I do think they should offer the leg hair growing contest to the women

phlegmfatale said...

I hope Little Guy mends well and quickly.

The ugly beard contest is a brilliant ideer.

carmachu said...

I hop[e little guy is ok!

Samantha said...

Hope all is well with Little Guy. That Beard Contest is an excellent idea, I love it.

Brenda said...

Hope Little Guy heals quick and painlessly!

The contest idea is a good un but the women need to be in on the action too, wonder about mole hairs?

Anonymous said...

(HUGS) on the Beard Contest. Such a strange idea, but so far the paper said they are up over $2000.00, plus the cans. Makes a big difference in such a little community. I'll have to pass that on about the ladies, something to thing about.

So sorry to hear about little guy. Hope he is on the mend very soon!!!
XOXOXO

stinkypaw said...

Hope little Guy is doing good. And I'm all for the don't shave your legs, especially this time of year! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I was wondering where you were..
I sure hope little guy is okay!
i'll be thinking of you guys!
:] ♥

tomshideaway said...

Uh, there are some bearded ladies out there.... Jennifer Miller

Michelle Flaherty said...

When I think of ugly beards, I remember that episode of Cheers where Cliff Claven tries to grow a beard and all he gets is something weird and scraggly.

Hope Little Guy is feeling better and on the mend!

Anonymous said...

((LG))