Tuesday, December 06, 2011

More Angels

Just got done with our final Holiday Show, and I have to say it completely wiped us out!! Although the weather was really crappy and snowy, there was a decent turn-out, and as for volume---I think we did as good or better than most of the vendors there!

My hubby was a saint. Because parking was limited and far away, he came every hour or so, and picked one of us up and dropped one of us off. That way we always had two people at the booth, but was able to have a breather---work two hours and take one off.

When it was my turn, I had peeled off a big chunk of money from "the wad" (as we called it), plus a check someone wrote us. I didn't want to carry around an excess of big bills, so I asked him to take it home and put it someplace safe.

That night, when we got home, we couldn't find it. And he couldn't remember what he did with it. It was a very very busy day for all of us, and we were all exhausted. He tore the house apart, tore his vehicle apart, etc etc etc. I figured it would show up somewhere, and I was too tired to be worried.

The next day I told a lady at a neighboring booth about it, and she gathered a bunch of vendors together and made everybody put their hands up and call on Saint Anthony---the Saint of finding lost things. Then she firmly stated that it would come back to us.

It was very funny and sweet, and I was touched that the other vendors joined in. There is a lot of camraderie with this group of people.

This lady was a hoot. She was manning a fundraiser booth and she took some of our ornaments and looped them around her ears like earrings and went out in the crowd trying to goad people to our booth. She didn't just do that for us, but for other vendors as well. I think she did wonders for our sales.

Little Guy jumped in with the sales too. He shook hands with passersby and introduced himself (and didn't even ask to see their socks!). He saw quite a few friends that he hadn't seen in awhile and had a wonderful time.

When we got home, again exhausted, Hubby still hadn't been able to find the money. We did pretty well without it, but it really was a bit of a blow. He was beating himself up about it, and I finally said, "PLEASE PLEASE STOP!! If it shows up, it shows up, if it doesn't, it doesn't. I'm feeling worse about YOU feeling bad than about the money!!"

On Monday, I sent the Aspiring Adult to the bank to deposit all the checks we had received. About an hour later, the bank called. I thought it was a problem with one of the checks (one lady had almost walked away without signing hers and I wondered if I had missed one).

"Is this Attila the Mom?" the teller asked. I said, why yes it is.

"There's a man here who just brought in a large sum of cash and a check with your name on it. He's been trying to locate you. Could you tell me about this money?"

I did and did it eagerly! LOL

Turns out this guy found the wad in the snow at the shopping center. Apparently it fell out of Hubby's pocket when he went to pick up sodas and stuff.

And he saved it for two days and went to the bank where the check was from to try to trace me through the person who wrote the check. The teller JUST HAPPENED to be the person who processed my deposit a short time earlier and recognized my name.

How freaking neat is that?

I asked her to give him some of the money as a reward, but he refused it. But she DID happen to note his name and where he worked.

I'm gonna send the guy a gift basket.

Now doesn't that sort of restore some of your faith in humanity?

It does for me. :-)

There's 4 days left to win an ornament and a $50 dollar Visa gift card over at The Fifty Factor. Drop on by!



E. K. Dunton said...

Just when I need a little hope, I hear about something like this. Yay!

Webster said...

Well, well,well. St. Anthony really did pull through for you. I am so happy about that. And for honest people who do the right thing.

This sounds like a story to send to The Vinyl Cafe. Their rules are simple: that the story be short, and that it be true. Other than that it can be about anything at all. They will read everything, and choose the best to be read on the air. This, I think, is so heartwarming that it will be chosen to be read on the air.

So, check out the Vinyl Cafe radio show on cbc with Stuart Mclean. (I listen to him o our local PBS station.)
You may submit it by e-mail to: vinylcafestories@cbc.ca

Do it, Attila. It's a great story.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Omg it does....I love a happy ending and the thought even in these hard times people do the right thing! yay!

Jeanie said...

Maybe that man was Saint Anthony himself. What a great story.....and very affirming.

Jennifer Jayhawk said...

What an awesome and amazing story!

Beth said...

A Christmas miracle!
And for such a deserving group...

A friend of mine was admiring my ornaments (no, not those ones!!) and went to the site to place an order - all sold out! You have another customer for next year... :)

Willoughby said...

I love this story! It's great to hear about someone doing the right thing.

So glad your sale was a success!!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Wow--High Five to the guy who found your loot. He is awesome and, wow-- just awesome! That absolutely restores my faith in humanity.

The giveaway ends DECEMBER 10th. I'll let you know who the lucky winner is.

xo jj

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

Oh praise GOD for his kindness! and I'm glad the rest of the event went well.

Cassie Lobley said...

Very witty writer! I enjoyed your stories. Thanks for the inspiration

Brenda said...

There's another of your Angels!

Valerie Marie said...

I'm soooo happy for you: for the sell success and that an angel find your money. The ornaments I bought are so gorgeous! xoxo

Busana Muslim said...

I love this post because it is very very interesting.Thanks you very much for shearing this article