Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I'm a Grandma!

Wow!  I was so NOT prepared to deliver puppies, but that's what ended up happening.  Maddie was so freaked out with the first one that she just pushed him (using "him" loosely, it's impossible to tell what sex they are) out and ignored him.  So I got a crash course on helping babies and placentas (yech) out of mom, stripping off the amniotic sac, cleaning, tying and cutting umbilical cords and sucking out crap from puppy mouths with a syringe.  LOL  I ended up delivering all 6, yes 6 puppies.  We had to put them on a heating pad under a towel while she delivered the other ones because she kept rolling on top of them. 
 
The last one almost didn't make it.  He wasn't breathing when he came out and I ended up giving him doggie CPR a bunch of times.  He was too little and weak to be put in with the other puppies, so I carried him around in my shirt next to my heart (or my boob, take your pick) for a couple of hours and we've been feeding him with a syringe and formula.  He's now perky and wrestling with the other pups to get the prime spot next to Mom.  She's calmed down and is taking care of them now that the messy part is over.  :-)
 

We have 5 black tri's and one red/brown one.  The littlest one, of course, is special and is probably the one I'll keep.  He has a little horseshoe on his nose.  If he survives I might just name him Lucky.  Cliche I know, but he is lucky to be alive.  There's a pic of him below.  Little guy fits in the palm of my hand.







7 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

Your headline caught me by surprise - Big Kid and Kitty are parents? How much more complicated is your life getting?

Slight sigh of relief it was puppies... :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
Are you braced for an overload of cuteness any day now?

The Quacks of Life said...

congratulations :)

hoping for loads of cute pics

Chris H said...

Welcome to the puppy grandma club!
I have now helped Coco with three litters. Sadly we lost 1 puppy in litter two, and 1 puppy in litter Three.
I hope Lucky grows and continues to do well.

Chris H said...

OH btw, your blog is one that didn't show up on my Feedly list, so I'm so happy to have found you again.

Unknown said...

'The more you shall honor Me,
the more I shall bless you'
-the Infant Jesus of Prague
(<- Czech Republic, next to Russia)

trustNjesus ALWAYS, dear,
and wiseabove to Seventh-Heaven...
cuzz the only other realm aint too cool.
God bless your indelible soul.

And, yes, I was an actual NDE
(thus, my name):
some people go Up...
some go downtown withe pigs.
Allah matter of how you lived
this wee, wee existence of ours -
Jesus only points the Way home...
yet, we sinfull mortals choose.
Cya soon in the Great Beyond...

Unknown said...

'The more you shall honor Me,
the more I shall bless you'
-the Infant Jesus of Prague
(<- Czech Republic, next to Russia)

trustNjesus ALWAYS, dear,
and wiseabove to Seventh-Heaven...
cuzz the only other realm aint too cool.
God bless your indelible soul.

And, yes, I was an actual NDE
(thus, my name):
some people go Up...
some go downtown withe pigs.
Allah matter of how you lived
this wee, wee existence of ours -
Jesus only points the Way home...
yet, we sinfull mortals choose.
Cya soon in the Great Beyond...